Campus Mare Nostrum 37 /38 is a joint effort of international organizations, research centres, technology parks, companies and the administration, which seeks to transform the Region of Murcia into a pole of international, high-quality education, science, business and culture in the Mediterranean area. The CMN establishes three areas of excellence in the fields of training, research, and technology transfer.
U-IMPACT: UMU Incoming Mobility Programme ACTion Five two-year competitive fellowships will be offered in this second international call aimed to attract highly talented scientist seeking advanced research training and career development opportunities in a research environment of excellence, supported by EU Marie Curie Actions and by University of Murcia under Campus Mare Nostrum 37/38 CMN. Candidates should start by May 2013.
Second U-IMPACT Call is open until November 30, 2012
Go to web: 1st U-IMPACT
The deadline for the receipt of completed applications is November 30, 2012.
The selection of the fellows will be based on the candidates’ academic qualifications and research excellence in an open and transparent peer review selection process following the recommendations of the “European Charter for Researchers” and “Code of Conduct for Recruitement of Researchers” as described below:
· Pre-selection:The pre-selection will be based on the candidate’s CV according to the number and relevance of publications, fellowships obtained under competitive calls, participation in international meetings, reference letters and other merits (teaching, patents, mobility etc).
· Submission of proposals by candidates:Pre-selected candidates will be invited to contact their prospective group leaders and will be given four weeks to write a maximum 8-page research project proposal (from a list of pre-designed research group available below on this page). University of Murcia will make available on it web page a template for the project proposal.
· Evaluation of projects:Projects will be evaluated by two external reviewers, of which at least one will be an international expert, selected for their competence in the scientific area of the proposal.
· Oral interviews:Selected candidates will be invited to University of Murcia for a two-day interview. The evaluation will be based on an individual presentation by each candidate to the members of the committee. This presentation will focus on the candidate’s research project and interests
· Notification to candidates:The five top candidates will be offered an U-IMPACT contract and will be invited to sign an acceptance letter. Selected candidates should start by 1st May 2013.
More details will be included in the call text.
Postdoctoral fellows will benefit from the infrastructures present at UMU and will interact with the groups working at university. The goals of the U-IMPACT Incoming Mobility Programme Action are to facilitate interaction, both scientific and social, among postdocs from across the University of Murcia, and to liaise with Campus Mare Nostrum implementation regarding the organization of activities and networks of interest and value for the postdoctoral community.
Postdoctoral fellows will be offered competitive salaries, including a travel and mobility allowance.
Can I apply if I have not finished my PhD?
- No, You can apply if you are officially awarded your PhD degree at the time of application (30th November 2012).
I have submitted a publication as first author. Am I eligible to apply?
- As a minimum, applicants should have at least one first author publication accepted, in press or published in an international peer reviewed journal at the time of application.
I already have postdoctoral training. Am I eligible to apply?
- You are welcome to apply to U-IMPACT, provided that your PhD was awarded no more than four years prior to the call deadline and that you fulfil the other eligibility criteria.
Are non-European candidates eligible to apply for U-IMPACT?
- There are no nationality restrictions for I U-IMPACT, but candidates must undertake trans-national mobility, which means that candidates must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline.
Is there any age limit for taking part in the selection?
- There is no age limit, but your Ph.D. must have been awarded no more than four years prior to the call deadline.
I was awarded my Ph.D. 5 years ago; will you take into account a career break due to maternity leave?
- Yes, documented career breaks such as paternity and maternity leave (one additional year per child up to a maximum of three years) will be taken into account. Please indicate any career breaks in the application.
Can I apply if I do not fulfil one of the eligibility criteria?
- If you do not meet ALL eligibility criteria (including reference letters), your application will be declared ineligible and will not be evaluated.
How can I submit my application?
- Applications for the U-IMPACT program will be accepted exclusively online through the online application system, which will be available on the U-IMPACT website.
Where can I find the online application?
- The on line application will be available at http://www.campusmarenostrum.es/convocatorias.html
Do I need to register to submit an application?
- Yes. To submit a new application you will have to go to the U-IMPACTonline application system, click on “user registration”, complete the mandatory personal details and press “Accept”. If the registration is successful you will receive an automatic email confirming your registration and providing the login details. You will be able to complete the rest of the application before loging out or alternatively you can ”save”, log out and continue working on the application later and until the call deadline.
I made a mistake in my application and I have submitted it - can I change it?
- No, you cannot make changes to submitted applications, and U-IMPACT will not do so on your behalf. Therefore please double-check your application before submission.
Can I submit two fellowship applications to the call?
- No, you may only submit one application.
Should I have a host laboratory before applying?
- Yes, before applying you should have identified the host UMU Research Group of your choice and ask for a letter of interest
III. SELECTION PROCESS
Which are the evaluation criteria for the applications?
- The selection of the fellows will be in different steps (pre-selection based on the CV, evaluation of the project based on the 8 page project and oral interview) and based on the candidates’ academic qualifications and research excellence as described on the U-IMPACT website.
- The evaluation criteria for the different steps and a call calendar for the selection round is available on the website.
Does the selection process involve an interview?
- Yes, pre-selected candidates will be invited to attend an oral interview. The U-Impact Selection Committee should also be able to make use of video conferencing for oral interview, where appropriate
Do I have to write a project with the application?
- No, for the application you will only have to choose a Research Group from a list of pre-designed Group available on the U-IMPACT webpage. If your application is pre-selected, you will have 4 weeks to write a 8 page project using the project template available on the U-IMPACT website.
When will I know if my application has been pre-selected? When will candidates be informed about the final results?
- Pre-selected and non pre-selected candidates will be informed end December 2012.
- Successful and non-successful candidates will be informed end March 2013.
If my application is successful, when will the fellowship start?
- Selected candidates should start their fellowships on May 2013, 1st.